Thursday, April 1, 2010

Go Greek.

I feel like it’s only proper to start out this whole 'blogging thing' with some background info on me. My name is Cameron and, yes, I am a girl. I am a junior at Oklahoma State University, Go Pokes!, and my major is Agricultural Education (Ag Ed). For anyone who is curious what Ag Ed is, remember FFA in high school? You know, the Ag class where the kids wore those awesome blue corduroy jackets and owned farm animals? Yup, my friends, that is an Agricultural Education program in the secondary school setting. I plan to perhaps teach agriculture to kids one day. Other things that might help set a foundation for who I am... I am from Edmond, OK, but I was born in Texas and have lived in California. I have a super 'Type-A' personality and am a self-proclaimed perfectionist. I am very honest when it comes to advice and speaking my opinion, but not one of those people are over-the-top rude about it. If anything, I can sometimes get dramatic and over-the-top! The other crucial part that you might like to know is that I am in a sorority at OSU.

The past three years in a collegiate National Panhellenic Sorority has not only yielded many opportunities, lessons, and memories, but also numerous funny stories. My hope is to share experiences and stories revealing those humorous spots, and throwing in a couple learned lessons for good measure. Anyone who reads this is pretty much guaranteed to crack a smile, laugh a little, and maybe find some hidden life truths.

As Julie Andrews wisely sung in her beautiful voice, "Let's start at the very beginning..." I shall start with my beginning at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK. Myth #1- Because Edmond is known to be the 'snobby-rich-city,' it is not surprising that I went through rush. Couldn’t be further from the truth! The ONLY reason my happy little butt went through formal recruitment in the first place was because of one lovely, persistent lady—Doli Jones. Doli is my mother, and a legacy of the sorority I now call home. She LOVED her sorority experience, and I do not want to assume anything... but I think the fact that only 3 houses were on her campus had something to do with it.

Anyways, three years ago this spring, Doli and I toured the OSU campus. We visited the dorms, the student union, the library, and even my soon-to-be-home-away-from-home—Ag Hall. After an invigorating tour, we were given the option of either a lunch seminar about Greek life or Residential life. It is VERY important to bring up the fact that Doli has yet to push her sorority on me. Honestly, all I know up to this point about her old chapter is that they got together and ‘socialized’ every six months to catch up on life and the good ole days. Example: They float the river every year with a theme… Last year’s theme: Pirates on the Piney [River]. I am talking printed t-shirts, eye patches, and a fake parrot. Seriously.

Back to the OSU lunch seminar dilemma… I am all about some residential life information. I have no earthly interest in a house full of girls who will eventually be middle-aged women floating a river in stripped socks and gold hoop earrings guarding the cooler of ‘booty.’ My colorful mother on the other hand would desperately love to eat lunch with the Greeks. After a couple minutes of arguing, I find myself at a table full of highly groomed high school senior girls who all have majors in Human Environmental Sciences College. Did I mention that I am in boots, jeans, and an old softball t-shirt? Yeah. The Ag Ed major was sticking out like no other.

My mother was absolutely having a blast talking to the other moms and seniors. She talked about everything and anything like a little social butterfly. Doli is the woman who makes friends with the Wal-Mart check out lady in about 3 minutes, and knows her life story. I, personally, was keeping my eyes on my plate and counting down the minutes until we could leave. I do not remember anything specific that was said by either the speakers or the girls at my table. The only thing I do remember was the continuous thought going through my head, “There was no way in God’s green earth that I was doing this crap.” I had bigger and better things to accomplish in college, and Doli would just have to come to terms with that.

Finally, the lunch was dismissed and we walked out of the room. I was grumpy, but my mom had a new life about her. She was rambling on and on about how great all the girls were, and how much fun I would have if I would go through rush. I broke it to her in a very abrasive manner…. “NO WAY!” She smiled and dismissed my dramatics. “You never know… Registration doesn’t close until July. Just think about it.”

And that is where this all began.

No comments:

Post a Comment