Monday, May 24, 2010

Judgment Day

I have made it! Yes, I have made it! It is the final day of formal recruitment at Oklahoma State University! I have battled through the rain, rallied against massive blisters all over my feet, mastered the art of waking up at 6:30 am and getting completely ready (including breakfast!) by 7:15 am, and most impressively… I, the girl who wore her jeans tucked into her boots on the first day, have made it successfully to the final day of recruitment.

The day of lasts. The last time I would have to read my fate on a slip of paper. The last time I would drag myself across the Greek neighborhood in heels (or so I thought). The last time I would have to pref my favorite houses on the computer. The VERY last time I had to stand in line, walk into a eccentric house, and talk to a complete stranger.

The same three houses I had the day before showed up on my slip of paper. I was JAZZED! This was the first time since day one that I had had the full amount of houses to visit. I did a secret happy dance in my head because this means I was wanted. Thank goodness.

Today was all out formality. The potential new members and sorority members all looked like they were going out for cocktail hour. I actually didn’t stick out too much. I was in my gradation dress—
a black number with a white waist band, peep toe black heels, and some kind of awkward western jewelry. I thought it would add some pizzazz. I distinctly remember thinking that I should do something different with my hair. My hair doesn’t curl well unless you put about a pound of product in it… And then you get something like Shirley Temple on crack—please refer to my prom pictures from senior year— so I decided that I should do a SUPER part in my hair. I envisioned it being mysterious and dramatic. Turns out, it really just looks like I forgot where my natural part was… Whoops!

A weird part about pref day is the seriousness of it all. The big rule was everyone had to be silent. When you lined up, when you walked to your houses, when you were just hanging around. The Gamma Chis were insistent that you stay reverent and think about your decision. Personally, I thought that was the biggest joke of my life. These past 4 days everyone has been acting like we drank 6 Red Bulls and ate a giant pixie stick…. Now you want me to somber and quiet like Old Yeller died? This crap is so weird…. Looking back now that I am almost a senior, I guess it is important that the women coming through Recruitment think seriously about their decision; however, I still believe that enforcing a vow of silence really doesn’t secure that reflection time.

Pref Day is the final day. It is where I believe the sorority becomes most like a cult… This is only because, as an outsider, I could not truly understand what the big deal was with sisterhood and all this lovey dovey stuff they spoke of. Each house had their own pref day ceremony. Each house wore the same color of dresses, either black or white. (Thus the culty-ness of it all). There was singing, speeches, and even musical entertainment at each house. All with the same goal. Get your bid. They each wanted some kind of commitment from me. They wanted one final attempt to show why this sisterhood was for me.

I pretty much knew going into this day the house I wanted, but it was still hard to decide at the end of the day. When you think back on the week, you wonder if you are making the right gut decision. That’s really what it is. A gut decision. At each house you have talked to about 10 girls. Those 10 girls represent the house you want to affiliate with for life. Til death do you part. After all the parties you sit in a room reviewing the book you know you should have wrote more in. Some girls had an easy decision while some needed mini counseling sessions in the hall with the Gamma Chi’s. As I put the last pref into the computer, I said a little prayer and let the anxiety fade away until tomorrow.

The next day would be the day I was going to officially wear the letters of a sorority. Whoa… I will have 150 new friends. (Good for my facebook). Lots of new t-shirts. (Lord knows I don’t have enough t-shirts yet). A home to live in for a couple years. (I thought this was great, but I thought a little differently later on…) Tomorrow was going to be a BIG day.

My mom was all up in my grill that night trying to figure out who I had chosen, and if I was happy. I kept my lips sealed though, and told her it would all be fine! And it would be… The next 24 hours would be a turning point in my future college career. Without joining a sorority, I can confidently say I would not be where I am today and who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment