Monday, December 27, 2010

Delayed in Detroit

Happy Be-Lated Christmas!


I am traveling back to Oklahoma today and it has been a little adventure. It was snowing in Elmira plus the winter storms across the eastern U.S. equalled a 45 minute delay. That wasn’t terrible, but since the airport was so small, there was no place to get snacks or a drink. Thank goodness mom encouraged me to pack a power bar! After a delay in the air and some awesome turbulence, I landed in Detroit.

I had a mad race to locate my connection gate, but in my wisdom... I didn’t check before hand to see where my destination would be. If I had, I would of realized the tram was the most efficient option. This extra time I could of gained would have thus solved my conflict of: bathroom or food? Only have time for one when running through the world’s largest airport!

As I saw my gate, I decided I had enough time for the food/drink stop. While running through the airport, I noticed lots and lots of Pepsi. Strange, but what communist airport would choose not to carry Coca-Cola?! Psh... That is nonsense... However, when I turned into the store, I saw the cooler. It was filled with ALL Pepsi products. What? No. My personal hell has come true. I tried not to panic and grabbed Diet Crush and some pistachios. I needed to make it to the gate. As I sat down and waited to board the plane, I tried my addiction substitute.

Reality: Diet Crush isn’t Diet Coke. It was sweet and turned in my stomach... No more. As I broke into my pistachios, I heard the latest nightmare. “All passengers headed to Oklahoma, your flight has been delayed.”

What? Why? There isn’t even snow!!

“The flight crew has been delayed and won’t be here until 9:07. This means you won’t leave until 9:45 p.m. Sorry boutcha.”

Okay she didn’t say the last word, but I wish she would have. I find humor to help in times like these. We were suppose to leave at 7:45 p.m. Truth be told, I was only upset because that delayed my Diet Coke, however my reaction was a hiccup compared to the bomb that was about to drop by a couple fellow passengers.

The first battle I witnessed was more about the tone of the woman's voice rather than the volume. I only got a glimpse of the fight as I passed by. I had decided I would double-back to the Starbucks and treat myself with a little mocha lite frappuccino. Better than wolfing down a Popeyes spicy chicken meal with mashed potatoes, which was my first inclination. As I walked past the terminal desk, I tried to put myself in the shoes of both the distraught passenger and the worn out Delta Airline assistant. I couldn’t figure out whose position was worse... I love customer service, but airports are a place where I could probably end up killing a customer. There comes a point when some customers are SO steamed, that you could offer an all-expense paid trip to anywhere in the world, and it wouldn’t matter. They would still act as if you murdered their only child.

After my little Starbucks break, I came back to the gate. Now I thought I had seen the worst of angry passengers when I left, but it was about to become big time.

A lady dressed in a pink sweater with 3 bags (including some small pink backpack--her kid’s probably) was screaming. I am not exaggerating. This woman was yelling and using crazy big arm gestures. She starting dropping curse-bombs and the destruction was unending. I couldn’t really understand her story, but she had had a rough time with Delta. The poor assistants couldn’t get a word in, and continued to listen to her shred the company and her previous gate assistant. Finally, they led her to another gate, but the yelling didn’t stop. I am not for sure where she ended up, but I can only hope that she gets where she is going before she keels over from stress, anger and anxiety.

Again, I am not the happiest about this flight delay... But what can you do? Yelling at the assistants or getting feisty won’t help. Start calm, cool and collected. Now, if the assistants are being ridiculous... That might call for a change in tone, but at first-- I would advise keeping it all in perspective. I mean little baby Jesus was born yesterday, and we will all eventually make it to our destination.

Delta did give us a $6 food voucher and $25 credit for our next flight... Not really the compensation I was seeking, but like Doli says, “Better than a sharp stick in the eye.”

I must say, the best part of being delayed was seeing the man across the aisle from me doing some kind of martial arts, num-chucking. They weren’t real num-chucks. (Obviously! If I can’t bring in hand sanitizer, little nerdy-boy isn’t hauling in a set of num-chucks) Instead, he boasted a TSA approved version that looked like knee-high pantyhose with tennis balls in them. About 10 minutes after he started, two policemen were on him like a hawk. Shut him down and cited him. Bum-mer.

I suppose I am going to post this before my laptop battery dies. I hope everyone who has to travel has a less exciting adventure than this and makes it home safely. Wish me luck!

Psych- Just tried to pull up the internet and the airport home screen has confirmed this would be the WORST place to be stranded. No free wi-fi y’all. ($7.95 for 24 hours)

No Diet Coke. No Wi-Fi. No Way. This is just not right! I suppose I will post this when I get home. Such a disappointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment