Friday, December 24, 2010

Putting the 'T' in Tourist

So, I can now check something off my bucket list... #276 Go to New York City- With the bonus check off of #510 During Christmas. Double Whammy without even trying.

Incase you didn’t know, my father (New nickname: Jo-Jo) has moved to the wonderfully dreary town of Athens, PA to be the new Boss Man for a natural gas company. My mother is waiting on the house to sell and then will dutifully follow him up here. Currently my sister isn’t sure what she shall do... Move to PA and work or go to community college? Buy some courage and continue school in Oklahoma alone? The jury is still out. And me... Well, I always intended on staying in Oklahoma to finish out school-- Coming here to visit for 7 days only solidified this as a wise decision.

The day began at 3:45 am to arrive at the airport in time to clear security and make our 6 am flight. Thank goodness my mom was paranoid, because everyone including all people at the military bases decided to fly out. The lines were long! After a flight into the New York via a transfer in Detroit, I was met by a very cold and desolate setting called Elmira Airport. I could only imagine it was going to go up from there because our first destination was NYC!


Airport Lines

Well it should be no surprise that our luggage was lost thus delaying the trip. No worries though... We traveled into town and ate a Chili’s and then shopped at Barnes & Noble, TJ Maxx (Two x’s or just one?) AND Staples. Yes. Even in a brand new state, we stick to the familiar. Finally a Detroit plane carrying our luggage arrived and we were free to make the 4 hour trip to the city of lights.

Honestly, I slept most of the way. I was abruptly awoken about 3 hours in by my lovely sister shoving me and declaring she could see the Empire State Building... Thank goodness I was alerted to such news. However, waking up in such a manner left me grumpy all the way to the Hampton Inn. We stayed in New Jersey the first night and planned to catch a bus into New York. We were staying at a bed and breakfast for the night, so we brought our carry on suitcase with the essentials.

Following a good night’s sleep, we got ready to venture out into the Concrete Jungle. Up until this point, I had been dreading this part of the vacation. My family, like most families I know, is dysfunctional and eclectic. We have “TOURISTS” stamped on our foreheads and rear-ends. We don’t travel well. And we are known to have mini outbursts in public. (Not just the kids, adults are prone to them, too.)

I knew the Subway would surely eat us up before we could even make it to the street level to be trampled by fellow tourists and city-folk alike. It was 6 days before Christmas! We were doomed.

After loading the bus, we were shuttled into the city. As the brakes squealed in the Port Authority Bus Stop, my eyes got big as saucers when I realized the task ahead. Exit the bus and navigate the subway. I suppose we all had those looks because some large man with a pony tail took our hand (metaphorically, of course) and said in his thick accent, “Hey! Yous guys lost? Follow me. I’ll get you there.” And like little lambs, we gathered up our luggage and scampered after him.

Animatedly, he pointed out the subway trains we needed to take, where we could buy the cards, and how to get back to this point tomorrow to be picked up. And as fast as he had saved us, he vanished. We were on our own.

The only way to describe the debacle of the subway is like this: Remember those video/arcade games where you attempted to dodge the objects raining down on you? I remember a Mario Super Bros game where hammers and mallets would drop and when you didn’t move... You were smashed. So, here we go with 3 rolly luggages, 2 back packs, and an over the shoulder bag (my dad’s a light packer!)... Quite a lot to be dodging, bobbing and weaving through the mess of people. We didn’t plan ahead well.

After purchasing our all day “fun passes” for the subway (with 4 separate credit cards-- for some reason they would only do one transaction per credit card), we attempted to actually use them to clear the gate. Three of us successfully made it, one of us- my sister- epically failed. She tried to go DIRECTLY after me. Problem being, that this was new, and I had not been so graceful in getting myself and my luggage through the turn-style in a timely manner. So when my sister ran her card, I ended up using her turn as well. Oops. Since I used her turn, her card was inactive for 20 minutes. This measure is to keep people from handing their cards to the next person in line for endless swipage. However, we managed to use the precaution as yet another billboard that said, “Yeah, we are new. And apparently idiots. Sorry.” The subway man felt pity though, and let her go through the emergency exit after explaining the rules.

Now in the Subway, we had to figure out this train thing. We couldn’t remember what pony-tail man had said and we tried to figure it out ourselves. Let’s just say after about 30 minutes, 5 trains, and 3 people’s assistance, we made it to the Natural History Museum station. This was where the B&B was and I was so ready to drop off the pesky luggage. It would take a little less “Tourist” off our general appearance. Not to mention, subway transportation was NOT luggage-friendly.

My first New York hot dog was absolutely to die for. They must use cocaine in the meat because it was absolutely fantastic. We again had to verge back into subway land... I was not looking forward to it. Luggage or no luggage. We were still a blinking, neon sign screaming: VACATIONERS!

Myths and Facts about Subway:

1. Fact. Subways are strange, confusing and mind-boggling.There are a lot of apps for the NYC Subway. If you have an iPhone, buy one. Super helpful, BUT ONLY if you use the locator and direction giver up-ground with 3G access.

2. Myth. People who live in and around NYC are mean and jaded and not willing to help you figure out where you are going. Contrary to my belief, New York people are not all that mean... I don’t know how many people not only helped us with directions, but actually smiled! A couple times they even saw our panic radar and offered assistance. I always assumed New Yorkians would be mean, bitter and unsympathetic to the distraught weary traveler.

3. Fact. There are RATS in the subway. Now I never saw a live one, but I saw the traces of them... Then I searched them on YouTube and found some telling tales. Wikipedia also has some interesting thoughts on the varmints as well.

4. Fact. Subway people are just like the movies. Any movie or TV show you have seen depicting the subway is correct. Sad faces, 1 out of every 3 has ear buds in listening to who-knows-what, the second 1 out of 3 is reading a paper back book, and the final 1 out of 3 is sleeping. Don’t panic though, they wake up at the exact moment they intend to leave. Seriously though, they look like zombies who lead very depressing and exhaustive lives.

5. Myth. People who perform in subways have a heart to go along with their pan-handling ways. Performers on subways only want your money and REALLY don’t appreciate you video taping them. Even when you give them money... My thoughts are: For all they know I might own some music label in the Bible Belt and want to offer them a deal singing gospel... AND I also think that this a free country slash I paid for my pass just like you buddy.

6. Fact or Myth. Suicides happen in the NYC subway. Suicides on the subway are not recorded by the Transit Authority... The only thing I could think about as the trains zoomed to the platform was jumping out in front of it to see what happened. So I searched it on Google and the only records that are kept are through the Police department and therefore not so user friendly. Sorry I will have to end on a morbid note for this round of Fact or Myth: NYC Subway.

Back to the upper-level of NYC, it was cold. Street vendors (food and merchandise) were everywhere-- it reminded me of the state fair. And there were about a million people. Honking was the rule, not the exception. Some stores had lines to get into them. Oh, and the windows of department stores were GORGEOUS.


Street Food Vendors

We visited ground zero and saw the memorial being built along with the new tower. We walked down several streets looking in windows. We finally made it into a couple stores including FAO Schwarz, Crate & Barrel, Banana Republic, Sanrio AKA Hello Kitty store, and Macy’s. We saw the sites: Rockefeller Plaza, ABC building, Times Square, and the Empire State Building (from afar). And eventually our feet began to scream bloody murder.


Rockefeller Plaza- There was a proposal that happened while we were sigh-seeing. (Will I ever stop judging my proposal story against anothers??)


At FAO Toy Store-- Barbie Fooseball.


Macy's Largest Store in the World



Empire State Building


Times Square


Aside from the hot dog, I had roasted chestnuts for the first time. They drank the hot dog under the table. Those chestnuts were FABULOUS. Not only can I now relate to the classic holiday lyric, “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,” but now I want to attempt to make my own when I get back.

Overall, New York City was a great experience. We only did about 14 hours, but what I did get to experience was amazing. I doubt I could ever live there. I can’t imagine no backyard or anyway to escape the constant hoards of people and sounds. But, it was definitely a trip to remember.

My mom and I rounded out the night at a bar called Prohibition. Live music (Harry Potter look alike), a wonderful drink called “Mojito Colada” and a shot called “Key lime pie” kept the night entertaining. We even met a fellow sorority sister who graduated from Mississippi State. She now resides in NYC, but it was truly crazy to see how small the world is and how far your sisterhood travels.


Harry Potter sings to us



While we weren’t able to book an appointment at Kleinfeld’s (Say Yes to the Dress), we did drop by Hoboken for a trip to Carlo’s Bakery (Cake Boss). Yum. Yum. Yum. We got a few canolis, some lobster tails, creme puffs and a few other delectable items. Luckily for us there wasn’t a line out the door! And we saw two of the brother-in-laws before we left. (I took some shady pictures to document my encounter with famous people.) It was without a doubt a fun little end to the NYC trip. PS- Everything we purchased was VERY tasty.


Carlo's Bakery


Brother-In-Law #1 Shady Picture


Now I am sitting in Athens, PA. Not even remotely as exciting as NYC... I haven’t heard one car honk, but I do listen to the church bells every 4 hours. There are no extravegant and rich looking department windows, but the house down the street is dangerously close to blowing the town fuse with their holiday lights tribute to Baby Jesus. Alas there isn’t a 9 story Macy’s store, but we have been to the grocery store 9 separate times in the past 4 days. I think my dad is officially tired of the girl invasion on his apartment, and I am already mentally packing my bags to head out on the 26th.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and enjoy the time you have with your families and loved ones. No matter how dysfunctional they are. After the yelling has conceded it all evens out and you realize you love those closest (and craziest) to you. And if it doesn’t even out, enter into the sugar coma- Santa won’t need all those cookies you baked and that fudge is calling your name! And if ALL else fails..... I won’t judge you if you need a little booze to ease the process. As the motto goes: to each his own.

Merry Christmas.

Love,
Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment