Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Date Rejection

"Hey." -kid in my class (red head.. We have been 'flirting' for 2 weeks)
"Hi, how are you today?" -me
"Good. I didn't finish my homework though." -not so ambitious crush
"Oh, that is no good." -me
"How are you?" -ginger crush
"Good. Hey. I was wondering if you like to go to a date party with me? It isn't anything big, just a date party with my sorority." -me
"Uh, yeah. I guess. When?" -not so enthused crush
"Next Thursday. It's a senior citizen theme." -me
"Okay." -now awkward future date

Freshman year. Math Functions class. Tuesday at 2:00 pm in HES Building.

I, Cameron Jones, asked out my first date to a sorority date party. He was a red headed sophomore who had engaged in several conversations with me before class. I thought we had chemistry. I mean he always asked me how I was... Totally sweet. He was a rather unambitious student, but was an avid Christian. I decided the latter trumped all things in this worldly life... I also decided that he would be the perfect guy for my upcoming date party.

Previous date parties I had done the whole, "Girls Night" shindig. I thought this time would be better if I actually brought a guy... But my guy pool was pretty slim. I figured that my ginger math buddy who loved Jesus would not reject my proposal, so he became the new candidate.

It took me about a week to grow enough balls to ask him. About halfway through my invitation, I realized that what I thought had been flirting was actually was a guy just being nice to the girl who saved him a seat in math class. Too late. The invitation was given and I didn't want to be an indian giver... AND if he really didn't want to go, he would of said no.... Right?

Well, after he said yes, it was all I needed to completely get every hope in my body up. This boy was sexy AND a complete sweetheart. My sisters were going to be so jealous!

Needless to say, I was beyond excited about the event. I had gone out and bought an outfit. I had set up dinner plans. I was absolutely estatic about my first college date.

48 hours before the big night, Mr. Red Head sent me a text.

"Hey. I have to go to a concert with my church. It just came up. Sorry."

Talk about a shattered heart.... Three Dog's NIght, "One is the loneliest number," popped into my head. I was going to be solo. Worse than a "girls night." WHY HAD I BEEN SO NAIVE? And what they heck Jesus lover?? I am pretty sure the Lord wouldn't have bailed... Even if it was a church concert... I'm just saying.

My moment of courageous bliss quickly turned into one of the most embarrassing moments of my freshmen year. Not because I was dumped by my date, but because I had believed I could just ask some random, GDI guy in my math class to come to a sorority date party... What the french toast was I thinking?

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking. I was acting on freshman impulse.

From that date party and forward, I stuck to greek males that I knew. I also tried to stick in the friendship zone, because nothing is worse then trying to get to know a person you like on a bus of Lottey's on the way there, in the middle of a raunchy dance floor during, and avoiding the pool of puke when you get back to the house after. Don't hedge your bets on a "forever and always" romance after that!

Luckily, I now have a fiance who has to say yes, and if he bails... Well, there is always proposal #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment