Saturday, January 8, 2011

In House Living

Today the house opened up at 3 pm for all the new tenants of the great Tappa Kappa (imaginary name for my chapter). I am jealous for about 4.35 seconds of their journey until I stop and think about the moving-in process. Nothing makes me want to gouge my eyes out more than hauling my life up a flight of stairs and then cram it all into a 4 foot closet and 4 drawers. Listen, if you don't have a family member or members slash a boyfriend or guy friend to assist, moving into the house is a nightmare.

I never lived on the third floor for the fact that I refused to skip my happy rear up those stairs everyday, not to mention moving all my junk up and down the stairs. I think I bring an abnormally large amount of crap for a semester, but I never have to borrow things! I am the one who loans stuff out. It's the equivalent of having a mom purse completely equipped with pliers, a first aid kit, a mini flashlight, three types of Chapstick and 4 sizes of safety pins. You just never know what you will need during the semester.

I am already trying to figure out random excuses to come by and check things out. I never ate meals when I lived in house, but it looks like that I'll be making up for lost time. Meal eating is fairly casual and no one will feel bombarded by my presence... The biggest draw back of living out of house would be A: not having a senior parking spot and B: not having the luxury of quickly dropping by someone's room to say hi. Now I have to gamble and hope they are there when I drop by or actually text slash call them to get their status. Problem being that now I have initiated an event. If I call and say, "What are you doing? Just wanted to drop by and say hi..." and they are busy, it obligates you to then set up a future time to come by OR play the fake, "I'll come by later" card. Both are cornering methods that I won't really want to follow through with after I drive all the way back to my house... See the conundrum?

I will keep it short tonight because I know if you are a college student you are either moving and settling in or meeting up and catching up with friends.

Let me leave you with some Senior memories that create a Bucket List for living in house. (in no particular order)

1. Make a grilled cheese sandwich in the kitchenette. (Hint: Use both the toaster and the microwave)
2. Own a pet and keep it in house. I would stick to the fish category.
3. Sit outside on the front porch while babies are going on coke dates. See the magic happen.
4. Do parliamentary procedure in the 5-girl before you are going to sleep. No better way to drift off into dreamland.
5. Do some kind of outrageous craft in your room... Oh lets say mosaics!
6. Watch Glee, Grey’s or Private Practice in the common room’s with the TV. I double dog dare you to talk!
7. Randomly go to Wal Mart. Buy Nerf guns. Bring them back to the house. Go on a rampage. (Didn’t do this personally, but witnessed it. Had to be fun!)
8. Bring a dog into the house and sneak
9. Toilet paper your roommate’s bed.
10. Buy bean bags for your room. Totally worth the investment.
11. Sit around with your fellow annexers and write suggestions for the Suggestion Box.
12. Watch Family Feud in the Sun Room while eating lunch.
13. Nap in basement-- No wireless, no cell phone reception. What else would you do down there?
14. Vent or cry in your vehicle out in the Tri Pi lot. I found calling my mom to ball and vent about my terrible day was more effectively executed in my truck rather than the room I was living in.
15. Find a way to pirate internet from a better server. The house internet is infested with dwarves who cut the connection every 45 minutes.
16. Have a private stash of pop (24 pack Diet Coke was my favorite) for when you are too lazy to put on shoes and drive to the Barn or Quench-Bud’s or Sonic.

I really think there are more things out there that you should do while in house, but I’m trying to keep it short! Also, it would be great if anyone had additions to this list to share it in the comments section or comment on the Facebook link....

Challenge: If you have an addition to my “Things to do while living in house” list, share it! Don’t be shy. I would love to hear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment