Monday, January 17, 2011

Intercom of Death

In our sorority house, there use to be a neat apparatus that was used and abused more than once. It looked and acted like a phone, but there wasn't just one person on the other end, there was a whole house of sorority girls. You can only imagine the historical things that were said using the magical phone. Or, more accurately, the mundane and ridiculous things that were shouted into it.

Some of the things we used the intercom for:

- I'm ready to go to the frozen yogurt place, but my BFF, big, or twin isn't down here yet... Oh yeah. And I'm impatient or too lazy to run up the stairs and check on them. OR I forgot I owned a phone of my own and could just text them.

- Come down and clean up the dining room! (insert a comment about pledges or freshmen)

- MAN ON TWO!!! (when a guy is on the second or third floor)

- It's my 21st birthday and me and my BFFs made it home safely from the bars.... Wahooooooo!!

- It's just another typical night at the bars, but I really think you need to hear this new song on my iPhone before I go storming through the house!!

- Someone is here to serenade us!! Come downstairs!!!

- Begging for older members to mock rush with the newbies.... Bump Points!

There were other reasons we used it, but none was as memorable and significant as the call out on the afternoon of January 22, 2008. This was my first month to be living in the sorority house and I had already been doubting the reality of it all. I mean who wants to willingly live with 74 women... for anywhere from 2-6 semesters? Can you say drama?!

So here I am in Grand Central with my roommates and good friend just minding my own business. I am surfing the internet after a morning of classes, and chatting away. All of a sudden a muffled shout of the intercom comes from the hallway.

“H...Le....Ha....Ed!! Ahhhh.......!”

My curious roommate goes to the door and opens it. Once again it belts across the crackly intercom system...

“HEATH LEDGER HAS DIED!!!! OHHH MY GOOOSSHHHHH! A DRUG OVERDOSE!”

This was back before the days of Twitter, so I couldn’t just pop in and check out the breaking news from both legit sources and from my very knowledgable pop culture friends. Instead, I headed over to MSN.

Nothing popped up instantly, and I was convinced someone had just came home from the Penny after an early Happy Hour. I mean Heath wasn’t into drugs. I’d know. He is my favorite actor and future husband. He has a daughter. Famous movie people with daughters don’t overdose on drugs... Well. Nevermind. Heath doesn’t overdose.

I begin to panic after the 15th refresh on MSN. Heath’s handsome face pops up... That dreamy smile and piercing eyes. He never looked more alive and happy-- Not exactly the poster child for drugs! But alas, the title spoke no lies and confirmed the grim news spread on the intercom 3 minutes earlier.

My future husband had died. Of a supposed drug overdose. (Damn.)

I am almost 99.9% positive I cried a few tears. I couldn’t believe it. But this was just the beginning. All of a sudden a couple girls came into the room.

“Did you hear the news?” .... “I can’t believe it.” .... “Maybe he is punking the world?” .... “He was so sexy.” ..... “Remember his accent in 10 Things I Hate About You?” ..... “Or him in A Knight’s Tale? Totally hot.” .... “Brokeback...? Well at least he can end on the Batman movie...”

It was surreal. This was the most talking I had done with these women since I moved in... And all from a devastating announcement through the intercom.

This was real life in the sorority. Totally normal, and still remains one of my most vivid memories that freshmen year in house.

I ask you one question before I retire for the night... Where else can you live with an intercom, 74 college girls, and a spring afternoon entirely dedicated to remembering the late and great legend: Heath Ledger?

Only at Tappa Kappa.

And now I tell you one truth. If you live in that house or you get the pleasure to.... Don’t wish time away. Cherish how unique it is living with 74 different women under one roof. Because you’ll want it all back when you finally move out for good.

Sweet Dreams.

RIP Heath Ledger. The man I still claim when I get asked the question: “Who I would spend the day with... Dead or Alive?”

No comments:

Post a Comment