Sunday, August 1, 2010

Semester 6

Well, I officially moved back into the mansion. Things that happened....

1) Lots of screaming and high pitched reunions up and down the halls “OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I have missed you SOOOO MUCH! You look great! How was your summer?! Where are you living?.... Oh yeah, my big lived there last year! OMG this is going to be a great year!”

2) Wishing over and over that my boyfriend didn’t work today, and could help me for more than his 1 hour lunch break. OR that my parents had offered to come assist… But they quit moving in their baby girl about 3 semesters ago. Basically it comes down to the fact that I really needed help walking all my crap up the tiny, cramped back stairs.

3) I kept wondering continuously, “Why I am moving into the house again for a SIXTH semester....” This is SO much work setting up camp! It is amazing how 2 truck loads of boxes, clothes, decorations, bags, and suitcases can fit into such a tiny room. It is like watching an episode of hoarders in rewind and then started over again. Clean, then cluttered, then back to organized. All of my stuff was literally covering the entire floor space. So many shoes, I began to wonder if in a past life I was a centipede. And you think I was about to start my own Staples or Hobby Lobby franchise with all my office and craft supplies.

4) Checking in at a front desk with mom.... As if we were moving into a hotel. I mean the house is basically a hotel. Free hot breakfast in the morning, free toilet paper, shotty wifi internet, and free cable. Differences might trump the similarities in the end... You know, like only free cable on two tvs, no fridges in the rooms, no maids and sharing a bathroom with other rooms.

5) I miss my baby.... My little baby Malibu. Can I sneak her in? I mean I might have to put her in some kind of seeing eye dog program. Then I would have an excuse for her to constantly be with me.

6) Made only ONE trip to Wal Mart, AND I only deviated from the list once. Um, can you say impressive squared?!

7) Walked into my room, and my roommate was finishing her free weight ab work out… Oh and did I mention she had run 4 miles before that? Yeah... Made my daily stretching routine and mild cardio look like a joke. And by mild cardio, I mean carrying totes up stairs… I broke a sweat so it counts.

8) My very lovely Rose (a sophomore) helped me carry up two loads of stuff… Living proof that sisterhood is still alive. Helping a sister move in is equivalent to trying to locate your drunk friend in Stillwater with the following directions, “I am at a house. It’s near a corner and I am feeling sick…. Click.” It is never something you want to do, but in the situation, What Would A REAL Sister Do (WWRSD), you always go ahead and bear the burden. True friendship shines brightly in both situations.

9) I spilt a total of 3 diet cokes today. Dumped a box of 300 pictures and about 50 thumb tacks on the bedroom floor. AND slammed my baby toe into the concrete barrier that stops cars from bulldozing into our house. Let’s talk about the irritation level I was at by about 1:30 pm. Luckily I had bought two 24 packs of diet coke at wal mart. Be prepared. Number 1 rule of Spirit Week.

10) There is a walker in my room. Like an old person’s walker…. No, I didn’t have a hip replacement. And no, my roommate isn’t a geriatric patient… It just so happens, yours truly is in the coveted house skit. You may be pondering, “Wow I have never seen Cameron’s dance moves with a walker.” Or, “I don’t ever remember Cameron belting out a Celine Dion song… But she must have been good to make the skit.” Um… Well… I still can’t dance. (Follies 2007 Try Out Disaster still stands true) and I did show off my beautiful voice, but I didn’t get a singing part… Nope! I am going to be an ACTRESS. A single threat! That walker is my supporting prop in my role as Irene, the grandma. I got the part because I was REALLY good at dressing up as a grandma, but don’t be confused when you see it and I don’t sing or dance. This is a strictly speaking role.

11) I saw some of my favorite people today. Women who I don’t realize how much I have missed until I hear their voice. I wonder how I lasted 2 months without their corny jokes, goofy smiles or ridiculous ways. Moving in isn’t always the most enjoyable process. It actually makes me a frazzled, disgruntled hag, but once everything is in its place, and my bed is made… I can truly enjoy the screaming reunions and recaps of everyone’s summer vacation. I can even fill out an overly complicated check-in form for mom.

Turns out I am actually looking forward to the upcoming week. It will be the last time I go through recruitment, which is terribly bittersweet. The last time I am semi-locked in with my sisters. The last time I will have any influence on the future women in the sorority. I am determined to go out with a bang though. These lasts will be full of memories, and I will definitely leave my mark on both House Tour Day and dear old Grandma Irene.

No comments:

Post a Comment