Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It is Go Time!

Well last week was long, but it literally flew by. I cannot believe we opened our doors 8 times to around three-hundred and seventy-five potential new members. Potential littles, g-littles, and gg’s, are here. Recruitment 2010 did not disappoint with the quality or quantity of PNM's (Potential New Member) this year. Our PC 2010 is going to be mind-blowingly awesome. I. Can. Not. Wait. Til. Bid Day!

So, just an update on where I am at right now… I was laying in my bed last night with a bag of ice on an elevated ankle. How did I end up in this predicament? Well, I fell down the last 4 stairs yesterday before parties started. I landed on my ankle, and apparently did some damage. Disclaimer note: I HAVE fallen down the front stairs before and bounced back, but this time I landed severely WRONG. Now my biggest fear is not being able to wear my heels tomorrow! Seriously, though. I bought these sassy, purple ruffley heels with only one purpose in mind… House Tour. My dress is yellow, the heels are purple, and let me tell you this… I look like someone whose sixth sense is fashion! This outfit is the exact opposite to the oblivious dork I was 3 years ago going through recruitment. Mark my words—Come hell or high water, my swollen kankle WILL be in those heels tomorrow strutting through this house.

PS- If you are ever wondering whether or not I am loving my roommates this semester, let me share a story. 7 and 11 are our room numbers, so we refer to ourselves as 7-11. Last night I thought my ankle was going to fall off. It was hot and swollen and painful. Now, I will be the first to tell you that I did not pick my roommates, nor did they choose me; however, we have actually clicked. To my surprise we blend really well as 5 individuals… So when I thought my ankle needed x-rays last night, I asked which one of them would be taking me to the Stillwater ER. All 4 answered without hesitation in a resounding, “Yes, we will take you!” That moment was when I realized this semester rooming situation would not suck, but instead be an enjoyable and unforgettable adventure like always!

I don’t know why I over-booked my senior recruitment… House Tour chair, skit grandma, AND being a senior… Listen. Too much. If you weren’t aware, being a senior during work week and recruitment is kind of like being a CEO. You have been here and done it twice. You know the in’s and out’s. As a senior, you make sure things run correctly. Usually the seniors embrace the responsibility with a sense of cruelty and brashness… And my opinion is that it has worked for the most part; however, MLZ (senior pledge class) wanted to take a different route. In the spirit of… Well… Spirit Week, MLZ decided to be more laid back and maintain a positive attitude. The reason being that no wants to be yelled at and cut down multiple times by the upperclassmen. I am pleased to announce that we have be assertively stern, but optimistically encouraging. It has been a good balance, which truly does make the whole recruitment experience more fun and memorable for the RIGHT reasons. Plus, I think it helps us rush girls better.

These first two days have been “Open House Round.” This means the party is short, and more like a mixer atmosphere. The PNM’s and members are just trying to get introduced and comfortable. This is my favorite rush day because you never talk longer than 9 minutes, and topics like “Cupcake Wars,” walking like a t-rex through the house, overall clumsiness, and sun tanning next to Will Smith at Cabo are normal. I am much more comfortable talking about those topics then the more serious conversations. I think we can all agree though that any conversation is possible if the member and pnm match up is good.

I really wish I could be more specific about some of my conversations (some are REAL funny!), but I am not exactly for certain if that is kosher or allowed. If I get kicked out of my sorority, then the blog dies all together… So I am playing it safe! I will tell you 2 truths about Recruitment that have been painfully clear these past 2 days... 1. Every time a party starts, I feel myself warping into a Stepford wife. Its like when the front door opens, and the sun and PNM's shine through, my body and demeanor warp into the perfect sorority girl. From how I talk to how I walk... And it isn't even becoming a different person... It is literally just switching over from chilled but kind of aggressive Cameron to warm, smiley Cameron. 2. I have a permanent cotton mouth. Yes, it might be from talking to a lot of girls in a room with a high decibel level... But really, I cannot ignore the fact that I have eaten 9-10 peppermints in less than 6 hours. The reason being obvious (don't want stank breath when talking to a PNM). Welcome to 2 Recruitment realities on the other side.

I had a lot of input and comments about the grandma blog. I am happy to report that Irene is no longer an empty shell. As of Alumni Skit night on Saturday, Irene has become the sweet, southern grandma who might sit next to you at church. I am a good ying to the other two grandma’s yang.

Wish me good luck on House Tour tomorrow and I will be updating as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment