Monday, August 2, 2010

Ready or Not

Spirit Week has officially kicked off. As of 2 pm this afternoon, our whole chapter was moved in, and sitting in the dining room listening to our Recruitment chairs chant the longest chant I had heard thus far in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it was an AWESOME chant, but I always thought chants were relatively short. What comes to mind is a softball chant that we use to cheer after every game. Win or lose, it was always yelled with gusto and it goes a little something like this, “WE ARE PROUD OF YOU, SAY WE ARE PROUD OF YOU! HEY, HEY, HEY!” And repeat. 7 different words are used in that chant. The one we learned today felt like a Shakespeare monologue… But again, it had a terribly fun and catchy beat. Touché Recruitment Chairs, touché!

After pumping us up with the chant we were hit with some CRAZY news. Quota, the sorority word for girls required for the new pledge class, is 65! Whoa… To put this in perspective… I think we had like 43 girls MAX my freshmen year. 25 extra girls is NUTS! After trying to swallow that news, our house mom addressed the chapter. Now, if you are in my sorority, I would like to preface this with a statement. I do NOT claim to have gotten to really know her, but the few times we have interacted…. Lets just say she has rubbed me the wrong way. So anyways, the house mom was talking to the chapter, and I was kind of zoning out until she put a smack down on us. She made a new rule. No phones at the dinner table. Okay, before you jump down my throat and tell me this is understandable… I will go ahead and agree with you AND mom!! I think texting at the table is not the most courteous thing to do, but let me also point out two things. One- We are in a new day and age. Technology rules our life, and I feel like if someone is on the phone texting at the table, it is something important. I don’t believe I have ever been in the dining room eating with a sister who literally had one hand on her iPhone and one hand shoveling food with a fork. Seriously. Second- I don’t know about y’all… But I moved out of my parent’s house 3 years ago. I haven’t had a guardian place a rule/ban on me since I started OSU…. I don’t feel like it is the house mom’s job to ban cell phones from the dining room as a solution to the problem. I would have MUCH more appreciated a friendly reminder that it is rude to be on the phone when eating at the table. Courteous reminder would go over with me 100% better than a complete ban.

So while I am fuming about the new extreme rule… I was hit with the most cliché thing I have ever heard so far in my sorority career. It was something that only would be seen in a movie making fun of sororities. Literally, I couldn’t believe this was seriously being talked about, nonetheless the FOURTH thing on the agenda for our first chapter meeting. No kidding you, but today we had a sister stand up and give a Spray Tanning Seminar. For about 5 minutes, we discussed the do’s and don’ts of spray tans. Personally, I haven’t spray tanned since Junior year of high school for prom. I looked like an orange alien for prom pictures… I haven’t been back since! So, now I would like to share with you what I learned. Yes, I did take notes.

#1 The BEST places to get a spray tan in Stillwater are the Rivera on Western or Tan and Tone.

#2 Always wait 6 hours before you shower after being sprayed… Helpful tip: spray tan at night so you can sleep and avoid bathing.

#3 Ever wonder why you are splotchy 3 days after your spray time?! Well, you are NOT suppose to put on scented body lotion or crazy body washes… Use only Jergens or plain soap to avoid looking like a leper.

#4 You should spray this week so your tan has time to adjust to your body. Don’t wait til the night before Open House Round.

#5 Just because you can do level 3 tanning does NOT me you should.

Anymore questions should be directed to the house expert. The rest of the day was just a couple more meetings. Today was a like a warm up walk before we start running tomorrow.

Favorite quote of the day, “The sorority is like a cruise… Its all inclusive. You get your room free and lots of free food, but you pay a crap ton of money for it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment