Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Falls

Happy Birthday Dad!

My Dad's 50th Birthday was today!

(PS- We used the Garmin and the Pagoda voice-- knock off Yoda voice -- is HILARIOUS! My dad may, or may not giggle every now and then when the little dude says something off the wall.)

Currently we are in Toronto (Canada). Yesterday we did Niagara Falls and today we hit the outlets.

I would love to go into detail about the trip so far, but we are going to the ZOO tomorrow and the wake up call is 6:45 am (5:45 am Oklahoma time).

I am exhausted! But I wanted to throw up some pictures and give you a dose of the dry sarcasm I know you love (and is probably one of the only reasons you visit my blog.. But I'll take it!!)

So Niagara...



I always imagined it to be majestic, serene, a place of awe and serenity. A natural wonder full of mystery and intrrigue...

Wake up call.

While the falls were quite AMAZING... that was where the buck ended folks...



Niagara was like Destin and New York City had a baby and Niagara was the end result.

You know in Destin how there are tons of big, trashy tourist trap shops, one after the next? And then in NYC there are crazy street vendors and people of all sorts... Well Niagara is the redneck cousin of the two destinations.

They have TOTALLY found a way to capitalize on this place.

I was so disappointed about how touristy and cheesy it was... Not to mention EVERY ethnicity, race, religion, gender, culture, and age bracket was represented... I guess I assumed old people were the only ones that went to Niagara... Like with their assisted living home, their church group or with their family for someone's 50th birthday...

Besides the semi-trashy environment, the actual falls were FASCINATING! So much water... ALL THE TIME! I kept thinking it would stop at any moment... At any moment there would be a big hand that turned off the faucet and it would stop for a few seconds! Never happened. Kept coming like crazy!



We did Maid of the Mist and something called Cave of Winds... Both were wet, windy, and misty.

If I could describe Niagara Falls in one word....



Damp.

I always felt like there was moisture on me. I didn't even drink very much that day because I think my epidermis was being sufficiently hydrated externally. Why buy an $8 bottle of water when I can stand next to the Horseshoe Fall and become moist in a matter of seconds?



Twice I had to ask myself if it was mist or rain falling... You get the picture.



Besides being incredibly gorgeous, the falls raised many questions that I ended up researching online until midnight last night. Things like, "Maid of the Mist suicides," "Humans surviving going over Niagara Falls," and an extensive search on Netflix for documentaries (Put 2 in my DVD Que!)



I mean, I don't know if it is normal to want to know those kind of things, but listen... I couldn't STOP THINKING ABOUT IT! I wanted a barrel or a human (real or mannequin) to go over the falls so bad... Just to witness the power of the falls and the possible scenario. Call me morbid, but I think I got this from my love of Science and the desire to test a theory.

This was my website of choice in case you are weird (like me) and want to read some of the stories:

http://www.niagarafrontier.com/accident.html

Nothing says "avid tourist" like researching disturbing facts online after a day of sight seeing! I would encourage you to try it out on your next vacay!

Signing off from Canada,
Cameron


Amish crew was there and I was being a creep and taking pictures of the Amish Double Date.


Horseshoe Falls


AMERICA!

No comments:

Post a Comment