Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Retail Therapy

I have never been the type of person who enjoys shopping. I was bestowed with my father's genes and absolutely loathe my hard earned money being taken out of my wallet and spent... Even if it is something I want! I figure I can mark it down on the wish list and wait till my birthday or Christmas. Why pay for it now when someone else can pay for those frivolous items?

I always follow the 3 day rule. You know... You see something you like, but you really don't know if you should buy it or if you have the funds to do a splurge. So, you wait three days and if you are still thinking about the item. During the three days you should have thoroughly went through the pro's and con's of the purchase. If it passes the logic and wait test, then you can buy it. It works for me and has saved me countless amounts of crazy purchases at Wal-Mart, Bath and Body Works, and the ultimate Mecca of out-of-control spending-- Hobby Lobby.

My New Year's resolution was to save from each pay check around 10-15%. I am proud to say I have been on target with my savings and even putting in 20% if I worked over the usual amount of hours... And it has been great! But even with the extra money being put back, I still seem to accumulate some extra funds... I suspect that the extra money is from the non-existent sorority dues that I am now free of! $65 extra per month now! Anyways, this factor has enabled the latest nasty habit of mine: Retail Therapy.

After my break up, I went a little nuts. I threw my usually shopping personality and rules to the wind and spent some serious money! I was shopping online and shopping in stores. My two large purchases in person were at the Tiger Lily and Hobby Lobby. In total, the damage was a little over $200 in one day. I was shocked at my splurges and couldn't believe I had been so rash. It wasn't that I didn't have $200 to spend, it was the thought that I didn't really stop and THINK before I purchased these items. No thoughts were truly put into the $50 travel wallet (I don't even like traveling!) or the $40 in office supplies including a zebra print stapler and tape dispenser... (HELLO!?!?! I am QUEEN office supplies! I already had 5 staplers and 3 tape dispensers at home!) I was sick to my stomach unloading the car that evening. I needed advice, so I called the shopping expert: Doli, my mom.

After consulting my mother, I realized that this may be a tad bit normal considering the circumstances... And she applauded my efforts. Doli is an avid shopper and puts me to shame in the department of "power shopping" and things of that nature. But, alas, the retail therapy wasn't complete...

I have always been a faithful Amazon shopper for those randoms things that I think I need. So much so, that I buy and sell back my books through them for Amazon credit. I am also the recent holder of the Visa Amazon credit card, which gives you some sweet bonuses with point accumulation. (I am a responsible spender with the card... Seriously. There will be no bankrupt posts in the future. Promise!) But listen... Amazon is where it's at... All your needs minus iTunes gift cards and the achilles tendon of my splurge shopping: Vera.

I suggest you go to a retailer in person for Vera Bradley purchases because online shopping is dangerous. Even more dangerous if you follow Vera Bradley on Twitter and receive daily emails! =)

Needless to say, 3 day rule is less effective on online shopping... There are things called wish lists and the ever ominous thoughts of "price increase" or "out of stock" popping up if you delay your purchase. Between Amazon and Vera Bradley online... I think it is pretty safe to say that I should be near the ending of my therapeutic adventures. Well, at least my wallet is near the end...

Retail Therapy was fun while it lasted, but I think I need some detox. Not for sure how successful it was in the scheme of things, but a girl needs to let the finances loose every once in a while... Especially if she hoards her money like me!



The travel wallet and my Vera Bradley sunglasses with matching case.

Yes. I am obsessed with Baroque and can't wait until they retire it so everything in the pattern is sale price... Mainly because I have a goal to own every item made in Baroque... Judge me. It's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment