Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Colorful Hands


This is my life during the summer of 2011.

I work at a quant establishment.

Basically it is a glorified concession stand.

Things we have: Fountain drinks (Pepsi and Coke), Tea (Sweet, Unsweet, Flavored and even diet), Shaved Ice (we serve it with a spoon), Coffee, Cappuccinos, Smoothies, Iced/Bended Coffees, Candy, Popcorn, Burgers, Fries, Chips, Nachos, Hotdogs, Sandwiches, Frito Chili Pies, and Cheese Sticks, etc.

We also serve breakfast all day... I'd love to name you some of those awesome treats, but I don't really want to waste your time. So just know we have a pretty good spread for breakfast, too.

I work the afternoon shifts. Some days I walk away from work looking like I work at some snow cone shack in the middle of an elementary school convention. There are colors all over my hands, shirt, and even my comfy kicks (not the peeds though.)

There are several people out there who think it is cool to ask for special requests when ordering shaved ice. That is fine. I get paid minimum wage to make your snow cone dreams come true. However, it still doesn't stop me from resenting your shenanigan requests.

Such as...

"Yeah. Um... Oh crap... (looking at the menu) Oh man... I don't know what I want. Like I know... But I, uh... Hm. (long awkward pause) Oh yeah! Can I get a cherry snow cone?"

• Please make sure you take a good, long look at the menu before pulling up to the window and ringing the bell. Me standing there and watching you is awkward... But I know if I walk away you will have an epitome that Cherry is the flavor that you want.

"Can I get Dreamsicle with not a lot of sauce?"

• It isn't sauce. It is juice or syrup. Sauce is something you put on spaghetti or dip your rib eye steak in. And another thing... Light on the syrup really doesn't make sense to me. There isn't much of a science to snow cones. I have been working at this place for a year and still struggle to make sure I don't OVER juice or UNDER juice your snow cone. I'll try to meet the demand of light juice, but no promises.

"Yeah... What does tsunami taste like?"

• My quench bud's are probably different from yours. Describing crazy flavors is nearly impossible. Southern Snow premakes them and we are just as in the dark as you. If in doubt, ask for a sample. Seriously, though... Just ask for a sample and save me the trouble of playing taste dictionary with you.

"How many calories are in your snow cones?"

• No clue. We use sugar water and concentrates. I don't think the calories are something you need to worry about. Your concern should be with the amount of sugar going into your system from the 32 oz. snow cone you just ordered.

"How sour is your sour?"

• Even our sour is made with sugar water... So not really all that sour. Sorry!

"Can you make a ________? (insert crazy name here: Ninja turtle, Barbie, Rugrat, Smurf, Cowboy, Frog in a Blender, etc.)

• A good rule to follow... If you don't see it on the menu, I probably don't know what you are talking about. Unless you can tell me how to make a Johnny Depp, you and I are both in an awkward position trying to play the, "Well it kinda tasted like..." -- Not good.

Tips for your next snow cone experience:

1. For future reference: our Tiger's Blood is Strawberry/Coconut.
2. Add cream to any flavor and you won't be disappointed!
3. Any more than 2 flavors per snow cone is annoying -- Only exception is the rainbow.
4. Changing your flavor when I come to the window with your completed snow cone is not appropriate.
5. If you are getting 2 flavors, specify if you want it half and half or mixed.
6. Get wild! Try a new flavor. Nothing is worse than a flavor rut...

In other news:

One more day of work until I get a mini vaca to go to PA and see my Dad on his 50th birthday! We are going to do the tourist gig again, but a little less intense than NYC. Still, look out for picture and blog updates on that experience!

My top 5 flavors:

1. Strawberry Cheese Cake with cream
2. Bahama Mama/Orange Pineapple
3. Mardi Gras King Cake with cream
4. Cotton Candy
5. Tiger Blood/Green Apple

No comments:

Post a Comment