Sunday, June 26, 2011

Zoo, Zoo, Zoo

"I am tired of walking!" -Whiney Child

"Well we are walking right now so we can eat dinner later... Do you want to eat dinner?" -Agitated but not terribly concerned father

"Ugh... But Daaaaad!!" -Same wimpy kid

"Walking is better than jogging!" -Less than creative Dad

End of conversation.

This sums up the day.

How long were we at the zoo?

6.5 hours.

While I wasn't whining at Joe Jones (because he would have punched me after the first exchange), I was whiny on the inside.

Mainly it was because of the lack of exhibits. You would walk slash hike 2.2 miles and end up at some LAME-O exhibit with water fowl and carp... Or, even better, one, I repeat... ONE... decrepit elephant.



Some points during the day I caught myself photographing flowers because no animals were in sight. To me, a Zoo should ALWAYS have an exhibit in site. Or at least have free range animals roaming around like peacocks or squirrels.





Today I saw Malibu's cousins in several forms... It made me miss her REAL bad! Just look...



Malibu...



Cousin 1



Cousin 2



Cousin 3

Presh. I know.

If you didn't know.. I <3 zoos. I LOVE the OKC Zoo! My family loves going to the zoo together but I always forget the exclusivity of the zoo...

Regulars at the Zoo:

1. Families with small children. (newborn to 14 years of age would qualify.)
2. Awkward couples on dates. (You know, the ones who are holding hands and being sketch.)
3. Corporation picnics. (They wear the name tags and have dibs on the pavilion.)
4. School groups. (The ultimate worst group.)
5. Grandparents with the kids. (Those children are always the brattiest!)

Do you see a family of four with children, the ages of 19 and 23 on that list?



No.

We look KINDA weird when we go.. I RARELY see another family like ours. I feel like a sore thumb.

Also, I find that the zoo is one of the best birth controls around. Hearing screeching screams reverberating off the indoor exhibit walls, and watching parents push impossibly large strollers and children uphill is enough to make you decide that children are a terrible investment. Not to mention their crazy shenanigans like running in front of people, away from you, and demanding you carry them 89% of the time.

I decided the only way I would have children is if I adopt one at the age of 7 so they can push the stroller. I noticed that those families who staggered children would reap the benefits of using the eldest as free child labor. Adopting an older child and not having to participate in the stroller stage with them would just be taking the genius-ness of it all to a new level!

Well enough of me babbling about my future child slaves AKA children....

Let's look at some pics!



Hydrating Orangutang!



Extinction is no laughing matter.



Random zoo employee watching the animals and being too serious for comfort.



New SPCA spokes animal. "In the arms of the angels.... Fly awayyyyyyyy"



Peacock jumping off the roof -- Caught the tail end



Favorite animal print!



Mini Toadlet! Loved them.



Grizzly being sassy!



Swimming with the penguins!



Jelly Fish



Litter Bug Sign -- All of the Zoo signs were creative like this!



"Butt Flies" -- This is what the small child on the leash said in lieu of the boring and tradition name: butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment