Friday, June 10, 2011

New Afternoons

I loved the Oprah show.

I wasn't an avid fan, but if I have nothing to do on a weekday around 3-5 pm, I usually check what is going on with Dr. Phil and Oprah.

If there was a great show coming up, I would old school DVR (AKA VHS recording on my jank TV) and watch it at night. If I forgot to record it or the darn thing ate my tape, I would watch the rerun at 11 pm.

Recently, Oprah stopped the show and moved on with her life. That's fine, but it leaves me with a hole in the afternoon show routine (assuming I have nothing going on in the afternoon).

Where else can I learn about the cool celebrities, awesome gifts for the holiday season, see the entire cast of Sound of Music reunite, be insanely jealous of YOU GETTING A CAR! AND YOU GETTING A CAR! AND YOU GETTING A CAR!, witness calm interviews with serial killers, or witness a fellow woman struggle with her weight on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis?!

Tonight, I was working on moving my pictures from my Mac to an external hard drive. I was only paying about 25% attention to the TV until I saw a random Ellen commercial. At 10:45 pm at night... Hm?

At the end.... I found out the most horrifying news.

Ellen is going to be taking the 4 pm slot on the TV. She will replace the Oprah show.

I love Ellen.

I have literally LOL-ed in the middle of the gym on a treadmill as well as alone in my house on the couch. She cracks me up EVERY DAY I catch her show. There is nothing better than watching her show in the morning before I start the daily demands....

Catch that?

Nothing better to watch IN THE MORNING....

I am not so sure I want to be all happy and giggly at 4 pm. Call me a pessimist, but I like a little doom and gloom in my afternoon shows. Or at least sophistication.

I do not want to watch audience members make fools of themselves in silly games for awesome prizes.

Don't get me wrong... Ellen can get kind of serious and keeps up with plenty of celebrities, but to me she lacks the level of sophistication I appreciate in Oprah. You know?

Oprah has that pompous, arrogant behavior that tells the star she is interviewing that while she appreciates them showing up on her stage.. Don't you (the star) dare forget that it is HER show... And they are merely the daily accessory.

That is the host I like leading me into the evening. It empowers me to go to organization meetings, take that pesky night class, or battle the kitchen in a dinner match.

Who knows... Maybe Ellen has a show planned that is a little less hyped up on pixie sticks and more grounded in some hard hitting stories and interviews. Or perhaps I will follow the Dr. Phil dysfunctional, love triangle show every afternoon with Ellen and Justin Bieber having hockey shooting contests...

Honestly, I will be student teaching in the fall and will probably never make it home to see afternoon television anyways... So I guess my opinion only half matters on this subject. For those who are still lucky to watch afternoon TV, keep me posted!

PS- I took some pictures tonight with the storms rolling in. I was in my front yard and my favorite picture doesn't even showcase the ominous clouds... Instead it is rather simple... Hope you like it as much as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment